DIY: Make Your Own Glitter Nail Polish


I can't tell you how excited i've been to do this tutorial so today, when the package of glitters finally arrived, I couldn't wait! I have no patience. None. At. All. 

I'm not usually a fan of glitter nails but I saw a photo of a nail polish pretty similar to what I'm going to make and I had to have it! The nail polish I saw was also handmade in America, currently unavailable to purchased and would have cost £17 to buy with P&P.

For less, I decided to make my own AND I have SO much glitter left I could easily make another 10 bottles or make different combinations! 

Fancy giving it a try? 

You'll need:

Glitter. Lots of it. For the look I wanted, I got a combination of small squares, small and medium sized rhombuses, small and medium sized hexagons and striping in a variety of different colours.

Bottle of clear nail polish

Piece of paper



Taking a piece of square paper, roll it into a cone and secure with a piece of tape.


You want to make sure the end has a small hole and that the funnel you've created will fit into the top of your nail polish bottle.


I used a half empty bottle of clear polish I happened to have laying around. You only need half a bottle of polish so if you are using a new one (Which I would recommend as the polish won't be as thick as mine was), tip half out into a container. Insert the funnel you made into the top of the polish bottle.


Add a small pinch of each glitter into the funnel and it will go into your bottle!



Once you've added a bit of each glitter, give the bottle a shake to mix together and your done!


Paint on some black nail polish and paint on a coat of your own glitter mix! I'm going to call mine 'Party Popper' because thats what it reminds me of!


PS. I purchased my glitters from THIS eBay seller. 

----------------------UPDATE----------------------------

A little update for you, i've noticed that after a few days, some of the glitters have lost their vibrancy in the bottle, mainly the blues and greens have gone pretty much silver. While the polish still looks nice, for me, I specifically wanted it to look a certain way.

After some extensive googling, it seems that to solve this problem, you need to buy polyester glitter and then the colour won't fade of bleed. 

I'd suggest making little individual batches in a bowl as and when you want to wear this polish if you're using normal glitter.

I'll post a link up when I find a good stockiest of the polyester glitter. 

Lisa X 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive