Toffee Apple Recipe

Bright red toffee apples make me happy. The only thing I dislike about shop bought ones are their choice of apple inside. The solution, attempt to make my first ever batch of toffee apples myself! Now I have a VERY bad track record with anything involving boiling sugar (An IKEA gingerbread house resulted in 3rd degree burns to the fingers!) but I am wiser (debatable) this time and think I can master it without causing myself injury.

I found this recipe via the Martha Stewart website.

You'll need:

Unsalted butter for baking paper

2 cups of sugar

3/4 cup of water

1/2 cup golden syrup

1/2 teaspoon of red food colouring

6 medium apples

1) Line a baking sheet with baking paper, butter the parchment and set aside.

2) In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, 3.4 cup water, golden syrup and food colouring. Bring to the boil over a high heat; reduce heat to medium high.

TIP: DO NOT stir the sugar as this will result in it crystalizing. Just swirl the pan around if you need to.

3) Continue to boil for around 20 minutes until it reaches the hard crack stage. If you have a candy thermometer check the temperature is between 300 and 310 degrees.

4) Meanwhile, insert wooden sticks into the top of each apple, pushing about halfway through.

5) When the mixture reaches the correct temperature, immediately remove from the heat. Working quickly, dip the apples into the sugar mixture until completely covered. Transfer to baking sheet and allow to cool.

6) EAT.



{Images from weheartit.com}

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment