Book Review: Kirstie Allsopp Craft

Now, let me start by saying Kirstie Allsopp was the woman I wanted to be when I grew up! (I'm almost 30... clearly I haven't grown up yet!) If you don't know who she is, she started on UK TV in a property show called Location, Location, Location and in the last few years, she had her own show called Kirstie's Homemade Home (I have the book that corresponds to this series too if you'd like a review?) Homemade Christmas and finally, Kirstie's handmade Britain which this book is the result of. 


This book, simple titled 'Craft' is a 224 page hardback split into 8 sections:

Needlecrafts
Textile Crafts
Paper crafts
Food Crafts
Garden Crafts
Flower Crafts
Gift Crafts
Contributors

There is a nice 4-5 page personal summery on each section which I enjoyed reading.

I think the cover alone hints at the content of this book. I'm not sure what happened but it's all gone a bit 1940s W.I. mixed with the 1970s. The thing I loved about Kirstie Allsopp when she started the homemade series and indeed with the first book, was that she reintroduced craft to people who did have a stereotypical 'it's frumpy' attitude towards it. It seems with this book it's gone full circle and become... well.. frumpy.


As i've mentioned, this book directly relates to the last series she made where she went around the country competing in craft shows. These did tend to be a little stuffy and twee and again, the book reflects that. I would say it's a very traditional look at crafting. Yes I would love to make some cute bunting for the summer. No I don't really want to cross stitch a tin of sardines. 



The tutorials throughout the book are well explained and easy to follow, it's just a shame that a lot of them, personally, i'm not keen on making. They range from simple and relatively inexpensive to make; a ribbon rose and the bird feeder I tried a few weeks back to more skilled and more expensive to make items such as a silver leaf pendant and a mosaic chair.


The recipes are very traditional, pickled plums anyone? But by far the worst has to be a recipe for 'party jelly' - Jelly with sweets on the top but a lot of faffing around with plums and gelatin to make the jelly yourself.


One thing I DO want to make is the elderflower cordial! Whoop! +1 


The layout and photography in 'craft' is lovely. There's a lot more text than photos but it does suit the overall style of the book.


It really has disappointed me to give this book such a bad review but, for me, it really is a bit too old fashioned. If you happen to be a Kirstie Allsopp fan then of course this is a nice book for your collection. 

Tutorials ★★★★
Practicality ★★★★
Design & photography ★★★
Overall ★★


You can purchase this book HERE.

What craft books have you purchased that you love?

Lisa X

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive