Green fingers are oh so cool

For the last year, if i've needed to don a pair of wellington boots, i've shoved on a pair I found in the greenhouse and traipsed around in them. The problem is they belonged to my mum so are a few sizes too big for me, meaning it's not acceptable to venture outside the garden in them unless I want to look like a bit of a prat. I've been intending to by myself a new pair of wellies for a while now and today was the day I finally picked a pair and pressed BUY. 

The ones I chose are by Joules and cost £36.95 + P&P but I found an equestrian seller on ebay and managed to get a pair for £35 inc. P&P. While am doing a little victory dance at my small saving, I also do think they are expensive but I have admired them for a while and i'll get a good few years use out of them. I will also point out, I was influenced by Sean as he encouraged me to buy them. Lets blame him. Done. I feel better now.

{You can buy these HERE}

The thing is, I won't be wearing these to a festival... oh no, i'm using them for something MUCH cooler than that kids.... these are my footwear of choice for my annual gardening escapades! I know, I know, you already thought I couldn't get anymore cooler than I am ready am and I just became f'in ICE COLD! (I am aware this statement alone shows me up for the loser I am! Ha!)


For the last couple of years I have been growing vegetables in the garden and it's become a little bit addictive. I've grown my own potatoes, courgettes, french beans, pumpkins, tomatoes, chilli peppers and, most unsuccessfully ONE mushroom. Yep, just one and it got eaten by bugs. Bastards. I also have a herb garden full of mints, basil, chives, rosemary, coriander and lemon balm. They are really easy to grow and even if you only have a small balcony or a windowsill you can keep yourself stocked with fresh herbs. 




I found a packet of purple carrot seeds that Elizabeth had bought me (which I had forgotten to plant last year) and I also bought a packet of Lumin (white) and Howden (orange) pumpkin seeds. Obviously it's too early to plant anything yet but I couldn't help myself!



We also have a second large patio area that we don't use so i'm planning on building some raised beds to plant up as the pumpkin plants take up a lot of space. 


I'm intending on doing a lot of DIY building this year it seems... could all end in tears!

Any of you lot planning on doing some growing this year? 

Lisa X

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive