The Cookie Chronicles

The baking continues.... 


I popped into my local sugarcraft shop and TK Maxx to pick up a few more supplies! I have to say, our Tk Maxx is so good for cooking/bakeware and I picked up a couple of rolling pins, a baking tray, icing tips (PME sizes 1, 2 & 3) and the most amazing sifter! The sugarcraft shop was a bit of a rip off to be honest, lesson learnt, eBay is MUCH cheaper! I also totally cheated this time around and bought a bag of ready made royal icing mix as they didn't sell meringue powder.

I got myself a new apron too, naturally it's got cakes on it!


First, I baked my cookies using SugarBelles recipe. Once they had cooled down I put them in a Tupperware box until the following day. I ate a few... had to be done. 


I've never iced cookies like this before and, let me tell you, it's a bit of a mission! Getting the icing consistency right is quite tricky and I ended up making a complete mess of the kitchen adding the colouring and trying to get it into the icing bottles! You can see the purple cookies I iced first don't look as good as the red ones which I did after. Piping a nice even circle is hard! 

I had to leave these to dry over night so the icing was fully set before I could try decorating them. I also had to resist the temptation to keep checking them by pushing my finger on the icing! 


And finally... I decorated the suckers! For a first attempt i'm pleased with how they turned out but I already know how to improve them the next time I make them. The key is to practice, practice and practice some more! Why am I bothering to do this this you may ask? Well... I've decided to go back to school! I've applied for a year course in general patisserie and confectionary as it's something I am absolutely in love with and I want to hopefully make a career out of! Fingers crossed, come September i'll be heading off to baker school but in the mean time, I'm trying to give myself a little head start and lets be honest, icing pretty cookies isn't such a bad way to spend an afternoon!



I would also like to point out, I have an actual blister on my finger from piping so much icing! I feel quite proud of myself! 

Lisa X

0 comments:

Post a Comment