Book review: decorating cookies by Bridget Edwards


 I don't ever need an excuse to buy a new baking or craft book, but if I did need one, Christmas provided the perfect time to completely over indulge.

I was super excited to unwrap this book as I have been a huge fan of Bridget's cookies ever since I started following her blog Bake at 350. When I saw a link to buy it, I knew I had to put it on the Christmas list quick sharp. Blogger turned published author, i'm not ashamed to say I find that inspirational and definitely worthy of supporting!


Decorating cookies has 60+ cookie projects, something for all major holidays and events, plus a few extra. I'm not actually a huge fan of cake so cookies are a giant winner with me. Throw out the chocolate chips, grab a piping bag and learn to make some seriously good edible works of art!


There's a comprehensive section at the start of the book which covers all the basics. If you've never decorated cookies before, this will be your cookie bible. Everything's there from different sugar cookie recipes, baking, making your icing and flooding techniques. 

You might remember when I first attempted cookies, I spent quite a while just trying to get the basic biscuit right. Decorating cookies takes all that work out of the equation. 

All the step-by-step instructions are clear and easy to follow, usually accompanied by just the right amount of pictures to clearly demonstrate what you should be doing! Because decorating cookies this way is a little more complicated than most, I found the explanations perfect and most importantly, not too overwhelming before you even get started!




 The equipment and supplies section lets you see at a glance everything you'll need to get started and at what stage of the process they will come into play. Get ready to hoard cookie cutters and different sized icing tips! Since I fell in love with decorated cookies, our kitchen cupboard literally spills out everywhere when you open it. Don't even get me started on the amount of icing sugar we also have now...



The projects that have been chosen for Decorating Cookies, really are a great cross section of 'something for everyone' and, thankfully, are not insanely complicated to recreate. Again, because of the great step-by-step instructions, you will end up with a cookie that resembles the photos in the book. Nothing worse than seeing an overly processed photo that looks nothing like what you've ended up with!

Cookies are made and then iced in stages. The book takes all the confusion away from how to do this, all you need is a little bit of patience and a semi steady hand!


 The layout, colours and photos all compliment each project, I like good looking books and this one delivers!


Towards the back of the book is a 'Guest Bakers' section featuring tips from other cookie bloggers. I follow the blogs of most of the people featured (who are also amazing!) and I just thought it was a really nice touch to include people from the blogging community.


 I really don't need to give Decorating Cookies a long winded summary so I will leave you with my only thought... BUY. IT.

Tutorials ★★★★
Practicality ★★★★
Design & photography ★★★★
Overall ★★★★

You can buy Decorating Cookies via Amazon HERE


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive