Make Me monday: Sharpie Mug (f.a.i.l) & Gemma's Jar of Happiness

So the plan is this; every Monday i'm going to post a craft related DIY tutorial and today's was supposed to be sharpie mugs. 

I've seen a few people post this sort of thing on Pinterest so I thought, what could be easier than taking a plain porcelain mug, a sharpie and then decorating it yourself? 



Well... turns out, it didn't work. You're meant to draw on a mug with a permanent marker and then bake the mug in the oven at 180 for 30 minutes to seal the ink in place. 
I tried mine 3 times, leaving it in the oven longer and on a slightly higher heat. Once it was fully cooled, I washed it and the ink would come off with little effort. Has anyone tried this method and had it work for them? I'd be interested to know. 

Of course, you can buy porcelain painter pens from Hobbycraft for around £4 so decorating your own mugs is still fun and would then be successful at least! 

Safe to say, my first Make Me Monday is a bit of a fail.

But all is not lost! I'm sure most of you follow the lovely Gemma from Gemsmaquillage
and may have seen her recent video on 'The Jar of Happiness'. If not, you can check it, and her bad self out HERE!

The idea is that you get a jar and fill it with little reminders of things you have done or places you've been to that made you happy. At the end of the year, you can look back through everything!


I had some self adhesive felt numbers left over from Christmas cards so I stuck a 2013 on the front of mine, added some gold polka dots with a marker pen and tied with some white ribbon.


My jar is now sitting on the shelf ready to be filled with bits of happiness this New Year brings! I just thought it was a really nice idea and you can also go to town decorating your jar! 


Although there's not been a DIY tutorial as such today, I hope this might have given you a little bit of crafty inspiration anyway! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive